The following is a collection of recent San Jose beer news and a list of craft beer events in San Jose and the greater South Bay for the upcoming week and beyond.
Recent beer news
- Steve Donohue, well regarded Brewmaster of FireHouse Grill & Brewery in Sunnyvale, announced this past Thursday that he will be leaving FireHouse to work on a brewing project as well as work at another brewery for awhile. He will be staying in the Bay Area but invites folks to visit him in his remaining two weeks at FireHouse. 111 S. Murphy Ave., 408-773-9500.
- This week, May 14 – May 20, represents American Craft Beer Week. An earlier article lists several South Bay events commemorating the week.
Beer events: The week ahead
- Mon., May 14, 2012, 6 p..m. – 8 p.m.: San Jose’s Wine Affairs hosts a “Season for Saison” beer tasting. From their recent newsletter: “Tis the Season for Saison! Warm weather calls for a deliciously refreshing brew and with so many variations, Saisons are a fantastic summer option. Saison Tasting this Monday, 5/14 from 6pm-8pm, $10/person or FREE for members!” 1435 The Alameda, 408-977-0111.
- Tues., May 15, 2012, 4 p.m. – closing: The Counter in Santana Row, offers a “Mix-It-Up” 4 mini burger & beer pairings, including Devil’s Canyon Full Boar Scotch Ale and Lagunitas IPA. 3055 Olin Ave., 408-423-9200.
- Wed., May 16, 2012, 6 p.m. – 9 p.m.: Catch live music and good beer at Poor House Bistro with “Blues & $2 Brews” featuring Flying Dog Brewing Company. 91 South Autumn Street, 408-292-5837.
- Thurs., May 17, 2012, starting at 6:00 p.m.: Harry’s Hofbrau (San Jose location) hosts their weekly Pint Night, this week featuring Hop 15 from Port Brewing (11% IPA and very limited). Check the Harry’s Hofbrau Facebook page for updates. 390 Saratoga Ave., 408-243-0434.
- Thurs., May 17, 2012, starting at 6 p.m.: Jack’s Bar & Lounge in Japantown offers up their weekly $2 Pint Night. Check the Jack’s Bar & Lounge Facebook page for updates. 167 East Taylor St., 408-287-5225.
- Fri., May 18, 2012: BevMo! stores host weekly Beer Tasting events on Fridays. Check your local BevMo! store for details.
Looking ahead: Save the date
- Fri., June 1, 2012: The 2012 Better Brew Tasting Garden hosted by BetterBeerBlog takes place in downtown San Jose at the SubZERO Festival.
- Sat., June 9, 2012: Monterey Beer Festival. Expect South Bay breweries, including Firehouse, Tied House, Hermitage Brewing, and Strike Brewing to participate in this beerfest.
- Sat., June 16, 2012, 2 p.m. – 7 p.m.: Los Gatos Brewing Company hosts a Firkin Fest at San Pedro Square, San Jose. “LGB Firkin Fest requires admission and admission includes: entry in to tasting event, 5 oz souvenir glass and tasting tokens to taste beer from 10+ breweries. admission will vary …depending on how many tokens selected. Non-tasting admission will also be available. Open to guest 21+ with a valid ID.
- $17 admission includes 5oz souvenir glass, 5 tokens
- $20 admission includes 5oz souvenir glass, 8 tokens
- More tokens will be available for purchase inside event!
- MORE INFO TO COME…”
- Sat., June 30, 2012, 12:30 p.m. – 4:30 p.m.: The 3rd Annual Santa Cruz Hop N’ Barley Festival takes place in Scotts Valley.
- Sat., July 21, 2012, 12 p.m. – 8 p.m.: The Summer KraftBrew Beer Fest 2012 will take place in downtown San Jose on Post Street between Market and South First Streets.
To let me know about the latest and upcoming San Jose and South Bay beer news and events, please comment below or contact us.
If you enjoyed this article and would like to receive updates whenever a new article is published, please click on the subscribe link near the top of this article. To get updates via Twitter, follow me at @gratefulhubby. Please drink good beer responsibly. Cheers! Prost! Gun bae!
[Note: An earlier version of this post was published on Examiner.com.]
- San Jose Area Beer News and Events: May 7-13, 2012
- San Jose Area Beer News, Events, and a Look Ahead: Jan. 16-22, 2012
- San Jose Area Beer News, Events, and a Look Ahead: April 9-15, 2012
- San Jose Area Beer News, Events, and a Look Ahead: April 16-22, 2012
- San Jose Area Beer News, Events, and a Look Ahead: March 19-25, 2012