The following is a collection of recent San Jose beer news and a list of craft beer events in San Jose and the greater South Bay for the upcoming week and beyond. As events may change from time to time, please do check with the establishment directly, especially if you are extra excited about a particular event.
Recent beer news
- Check out the recent Q&A with Brewmaster Peter Licht of Tied House and Hermitage Brewing as he shares his thoughts on the South Bay craft beer scene as well as how he got into craft beer and his start in brewing.
- Strike Brewing Company will release their first non-session beers, IPA and Imperial Red, in 22-ounce bottles and draught this Wednesday, May 23, 2012. Check out their website for the latest information on where you can find these beers.
Beer events this upcoming week
- Mon., May 21, 2012: San Jose’s Wine Affairs hosts a keg tapping at 5 p.m. of the Token Lager, which was brewed at Sierra Nevada Beer Camp by a team including Wine Affairs general manager Jenny Merit. 1435 The Alameda, 408-977-0111.
- Tues., May 22, 2012, 4 p.m. – closing: The Counter in Santana Row, offers a “Mix-It-Up” 4 mini burger & beer pairings, including Devil’s Canyon Full Boar Scotch Ale and Lagunitas IPA. 3055 Olin Ave., 408-423-9200.
- Wed., May 23, 2012, 6 p.m. – 9 p.m.: Catch live music and good beer at Poor House Bistro with “Blues & $2 Brews” featuring Firestone Walker Brewing Company. 91 South Autumn Street, 408-292-5837.
- Wed., May 23, 2012: Visit Rose and Crown for the Peninsula/South Bay draft release of Heretic Brewing and their two Evils all day. 547 Emerson Ave., Palo Alto. 650-327-7673.
- Thurs., May 24, 2012, starting at 6:00 p.m.: Harry’s Hofbrau (San Jose location) hosts their weekly Pint Night. Check the Harry’s Hofbrau Facebook page for updates. 390 Saratoga Ave., 408-243-0434.
- Thurs., May 24, 2012, starting at 6 p.m.: Jack’s Bar & Lounge in Japantown offers up their weekly $2 Pint Night. Check the Jack’s Bar & Lounge Facebook page for updates. 167 East Taylor St., 408-287-5225.
- Thurs., May 24, 2012: Rose and Crown releases the 2012 Firestone Walker Parabola at 5 p.m. and pours Wookey Jack all day. 547 Emerson Ave., Palo Alto. 650-327-7673.
- Fri., May 25, 2012: It is Ruthless Rye Firkin Friday at Rose and Crown. 547 Emerson Ave., Palo Alto. 650-327-7673.
- Fri., May 25, 2012: BevMo! stores host weekly Beer Tasting events on Fridays. Check your local BevMo! store for details.
Looking ahead: Save the date
- Fri., June 1, 2012: The 2012 Better Brew Tasting Garden hosted by BetterBeerBlog takes place in downtown San Jose at the SubZERO Festival.
- Sat., June 9, 2012: Monterey Beer Festival. Expect South Bay breweries, including Firehouse, Tied House, Hermitage Brewing, and Strike Brewing to participate in this beerfest.
- Sat., June 16, 2012, 2 p.m. – 6 p.m.: Los Gatos Brewing Company hosts the LGB Firkin Fest 2012 at San Pedro Square, San Jose. Their Facebook event page has additional information, including the definition of a “firkin,” a list of the participating South Bay breweries, and a link for purchasing tickets online.
- Sat., June 30, 2012, 12:30 p.m. – 4:30 p.m.: The 3rd Annual Santa Cruz Hop N’ Barley Festival takes place in Scotts Valley.
- Sat., July 21, 2012, 12 p.m. – 8 p.m.: The Summer KraftBrew Beer Fest 2012 will take place in downtown San Jose on Post Street between Market and South First Streets.
To let me know about the latest and upcoming San Jose and South Bay beer news and events, please comment below or contact us.
If you enjoyed this article and would like to receive updates whenever a new article is published, please click on the subscribe link near the top of this article. To get updates via Twitter, follow me at @gratefulhubby. Please drink good beer responsibly. Cheers! Prost! Gun bae!
[Note: An earlier version of this post was published on Examiner.com.]